Y ASI ES WATCHMEN…
I am hoping this movie is going to be huge. When I first heard about it; I have to admit I had not read the graphic novel. So like the true student of the film that I am, I went out and did my research by purchasing a copy my hard earned dinero!
The book was awesome, and he first thing I thought was “How are they going to pull this off?” its no wonder why this film could not be done 20 years ago. There just was not enough technology around that could do this story justice.
Since the studio announced that Watchmen was going to be made, the Internet has been flooded with fan boy discussion about who would direct it, and who would play The Watchmen, and would the film be faithful to the novel? Well according to our loyal follower, Bentley Mustafa, yes, yes, and YES!
Now before we dive into this, I want to warn you that there will be huge spoilers, so if you do not want to know what’s in the film, stop reading now…. otherwise, sit your ass down and get ready for some Watchmen 411!
Here’s what Bentley Mustafa has to say about the screening.
There were approximately 200 people at the screening.
1. No Black Freighter, although we do catch glimpses of the newsstand and the kid who reads the comic, but only briefly.
2. The ending is different, no squid. I was one of the people who never really cared about squid/no squid, but I feel the ending will work better for mainstream audiences that have never read the book.
3. They do not imply a sequel anymore than the book does…
4. The montage covering the heroes of the past is done exceptionally well, and was longer than I expected. Allows the audience to understand that this is an alternate version of the past and everything they know should be thrown out the window.
5. It is dark, but not the stark realism that fills the Dark Knight. The Watchmen reality is a little more surreal in its feel, like a dream. It really has the feel of the comic in it.
6. Look for the cameo by Snyder’s son. He also played young Leonidas in 300.
7. It was fantastically close to the book; even the framings of shots were lifted directly from the book.
8. Jackie Earl Halley is the shit in this. He IS Rorschach.
9. This movie is gory. I’m a gore hound and I was surprised at how graphic some scenes were. Really had people squirming.
10. NAKED Sally Jupiter. (CORRECTION NAKED Silk Spectre)
11. Only character I didn’t like was Veidt/Ozymandias. I thought the actor was weak.
I have to say Snyder knocked this one out of the park. There is some gruesome, brutal stuff here that is hard to watch. The fight scenes are awesome, and, like in 300, Snyder continues the use of ramping the frame rate to accentuate the movements of the characters. I knew there was going to be some slo-mo, but I didn’t think he overdid it. All in all, fans of the book are going to more than pleased with the film. For a book that was for years considered un-filmable, he certainly managed to hit almost every beat and did not compromise any of the material (except for the squid).
So there you have it folks, breaking news once again brought to you by yours truly. I cannot wait for the films release; it will definitely up the ante for comic book adaptations in the future.